Stuart S. Rohatiner brings more than 25 years of experience and achievement to Gerson Preston. Mr. Rohatiner has extensive working relationships with the firm’s various international and domestic clients.
He is highly proficient in using tax research software programs to solve complex tax issues for the firm’s clients. Mr. Rohatiner advises international and domestic corporations, business owners and investors on tax-efficient structures and transactions to save or lower taxes on international joint ventures, acquisitions, sale of businesses and recapitalizations. Recently, Mr. Rohatiner has been involved in helping a significant amount of US taxpayers come into tax compliance in the US under the Internal Revenue Services’ offshore voluntary disclosure programs. He works closely with the top attorneys in town. Mr. Rohatiner has clients in Europe, Canada, the Far East, Latin America and Central America. In addition, Mr. Rohatiner manages staff accountants and assists them in career development. He has meticulous attention to detail, client service and has proven capabilities for uncovering accounting fraud; which he has done for previous clients.
Mr. Rohatiner is also an attorney and joined the firm in 1998 after graduating with honors from the University of Miami School of Law, where he specialized in taxation. He was awarded the book award in International Finance Law. Mr. Rohatiner started his career with a top four accounting firm in NYC and worked with a powerhouse investment bank after graduating from Boston University, School of Management, with honors. Boston University is considered one of the premier schools in the country for international studies.
He has been a valuable speaker on tax issues, he was a volunteer teacher at Miami Edison Senior High, an appointee to political office in North Bay Village and a board member of The Locust Project, Miami, Florida, a not for profit, set up to showcase the work of young and upcoming artists. He has been quoted in national financial publications and all over the US by the Associated Press.
Mr. Rohatiner implemented Miami Job Summer Connect/Overtown Youth Center Summer Internship Program at the firm providing Miami youth from the inner city with opportunity to obtain work experience and accounting skills. Program is in its third year.
He was recently appointed to the Overtown Youth Center Board, Financial Oversight Committee – Capital Improvement Campaign New Market Tax Credits.
Mr. Rohatiner and his wife, Judith, have two kids, Layla and Zoe, and reside in North Bay Village. He is an active member of Temple Beth Shalom on Miami Beach and a long-time Miami Heat season ticket holder.
– Program connects Overtown students with summer employers, Miami Herald, Neighbors Section. July 3, 2018. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/downtown-miami/article214080169.html
– Manager Minute, South Florida Sun Sentinel
– “Tax Law Changes Under Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (“TCJA”).” South Dade Chapter of Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (“FICPA).
– “Top 10 International Tax Audit Initiatives by LB&I. How to get prepared.” International Tax Conference, Harvard Club, New York City, Transnational Taxation Network. 2017. https://www.ttntaxation.net/pdfs/Speeches_Miami_2017/8.StuartRohatiner-IRSComplianceCampaigns.pdf
– “Financial Advising for Athletes,” 2018 Global Entertainment and Sports Conference, University of Miami Law School.
– “You Got Played, Structuring Wealth for Athletes and Artists,” 2018 STEP (Society of Trusts and Estate Planning) Caribbean Conference.
– Tax planning for US retirees moving offshore.” Miami Herald Newspaper Private Wealth Series, Coral Gables Museum.
– “Financial Literacy, Budgeting and Introduction to Investing for High School Students” Alonzo & Tracy Mourning Senior High School.
– “Financial Literacy, Budgeting, Saving, Retirement Planning and Investing for Adults.” Overtown Youth Center.
– “Success in Educational Seminars that work in Miami-Dade Public Schools. Tips on what works.” Council for Educational Change Meeting.