Steven Klein serves as Managing Partner for Gerson Preston, the Miami-based accounting and advisory firm, that successfully transitioned from its well-known founding partners to a new generation of leaders under Steven’s guidance.
As Managing Partner, Steven leads a collaborative group of partners who share responsibility for the firm’s governance, finances, service delivery, recruitment, and growth strategy. Steven and his partners are committed to the firm’s core values of providing consistent, high-quality representation with experienced, innovative, and proactive CPA’s and financial advisors.
Together, they have carefully cultivated the firm’s reputation as a sophisticated, capable, multicultural team of professionals, many of whom were trained at national accounting firms and all of whom have chosen Gerson Preston because of its culture of organic growth, teamwork and enduring working relationships.
Steven continues to represent his many long-time clients on issues relating to the management of financial audit and attest engagements, business consulting, advising on mergers and acquisitions, tax compliance and research issues, as well as, presiding over financial reporting and related internal accounting control design and implementation matters.
An experienced veteran of a national accounting firm and thirty-plus year CPA, Steven is a people person who embraces the importance of business and personal relationships to understand and pursue his client’s financial goals. He takes pride in helping his clients build successful businesses, many of which reflect Miami’s entrepreneurial and global economy, such as real estate development, professional services, technology, international business and investments, retail and hospitality.
Steven previously chaired the firm’s Assurance & Accounting Services practice overseeing financial reporting, audits, attestation, and accounting advisory services.
Along with his international team, Steven helped establish the Firm’s presence internationally through its active participation in worldwide accounting and law association networks. The Firm can service clients global needs that may require expertise and presence in jurisdictions throughout the world, previously the domain of only large multinational firms.
– Ongoing representation of luxury offshore hotel resort, including data collection, analysis, reporting and related advisory services. Provide business analytics to support performance management strategies including expense management, operational and process improvements.
– Tax compliance, planning, accounting and ultimately audit and advisory services to a professional services enterprise in the health care industry, from inception with two principals through its ultimate sale as a statewide provider of services with hundreds of employees; a nine-figure transaction. Our relationship spanned almost the entire life of the practice.
– Forensic accounting, tax structuring and planning, business advisory and ongoing services from inception to business maturity for a Swiss based supplier of motorcycle accessories in the U.S. and Switzerland; through our international association affiliations, we provided transfer pricing, restructuring, financial reporting and tax minimization strategies covering multiple international jurisdictions.
– Ongoing audit advisory and tax services to a commercial and residential real estate developer and operating businesses with properties throughout the United States. This relationship has spanned cycles ranging from dormancy through acquisitions, dispositions and restructuring with multiple domestic and international investors. Issues covered included cost segregation studies, review of opportunity zones among other planning and tax minimization strategies.
Articles, Seminars, & Presentations
– Instructor, CPA Continuing Professional Education
– Instructor, CPA Exam Preparation
– Numerous published articles covering technical and market related matters
Professional & Civic Affiliations
– Diabetes Research Institute (DRI), Board Member
– Co-Chair of the annual DRI “Out of the Kitchen” celebrity chef gala fundraising dinner raising over $300 thousand dollars and considered one of the DRI’s most successful one day events and a model to replicate nationally
– American and Florida Institutes of Certified Public Accountants
– New York Society of Certified Public Accountants
– Various previous board committee positions
New York University, B.S., Accounting, 1983 with academic honors